Motorcycles are a wonderful way to enjoy the Texas scenery. Just north of the city, many motorcyclists love riding in Sam Houston National Forest and on many of the more rural roads in the state. Unfortunately, one careless act can take the fun out of a commute or recreational ride. Motorcycle accidents are often severe and life changing. If you have suffered a serious injury after an accident, the Nielsen Law Firm is here to help. We understand the unique injuries and risks that come from motorcycle wrecks, and we will pursue legal action against those responsible.
WHY MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS HAPPEN
Contrary to popular belief, motorcycle driver recklessness is not always the cause of serious incidents. Most enthusiasts are safe drivers who have the skill and experience necessary to safely ride. Here are some of the most common causes of injurious motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted driving. Texting, changing the radio, or digging around in a bag all force a driver to take his or her eyes of the road. It only takes a moment for the traffic environment to change and a driver to miss the slim profile of a motorcycle.
- Failure to consider a blind spot. Every vehicle has a blind spot, and some are worse than others. Strong drivers remember to use their mirrors and turn their heads to compensate for the lost field of vision. Drivers who fail to consider these areas can cause an accident incredibly quickly.
- Road hazards. Two-wheeled vehicles react differently to potholes, loose gravel, and oil slicks. Hitting any road hazard at the wrong angle can spell trouble for a motorcyclist. Depending on the circumstances of the hazard, a road construction crew or some other third party may bear responsibility for this accident.
THE SERIOUS NATURE OF MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
A motorcycle accident presents a risk to the driver at any speed. The open nature of the vehicle adds a different variable to an accident situation. The intensity of the crash may throw motorcyclists away from the bike, pin a motorcyclist between heavy metal objects, and cause serious head injuries. Some of the most serious incidents can cause:
- Deep lacerations and impalement. Without a metal structure protecting the body, a motorcyclist is vulnerable to tree limbs, exposed metal, and other items that can tear into the flesh, cause scarring, and damage organs.
- Head and spinal cord injuries. Sudden trauma always raises the risk of brain and spinal cord injuries. Internal decapitation, severed nerves, and brain bleeds are just a few of the serious complications that can arise—even with the use of a helmet.
- Burn injuries. Road rash and thermal burns are both possible in motorcycle accidents. Serious burn injuries often require a long recovery time and can cause permanent disfiguration.
These injuries can change someone’s life in an instant. Taking legal action cannot fully restore your quality of life, but it can provide you with a sense of justice and the compensation necessary to achieve maximum recovery. Reach out for a free consultation if you were injured in a motorcycle accident because of someone else’s recklessness.
PURSUING A CLAIM AFTER A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT
While you focus on recovery, our team will use our extensive resources to investigate the incident and uncover all potential defendants in the case. We may pursue action against the responsible driver, an insurance company that acts in bad faith, and any third parties who may have contributed to the incident.
All drivers are responsible for maintaining a certain level of care when they get behind the wheel. When they fail to do so and you suffer an injury, remember the team at the Nielsen Law Firm. Contact us to learn more about our approach to motorcycle accidents in the Houston area.